WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Justice Department on Tuesday announced plans to appeal a U.S. District Court judge’s ruling which blocked President Donald Trump’s overhaul on DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Last week’s ruling by San Francisco-based U.S. District Court Judge William Alsup impaired enactment of Trump’s executive order to cease the Obama era program which sheltered a vast number of illegal immigrants who came to the United States as children from deportation.
“It defies both law and common sense for DACA … to somehow be mandated nationwide by a single district court in San Francisco,” Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in a statement on Tuesday. “We are now taking the rare step of requesting direct review on the merits of this injunction by the Supreme Court so that this issue may be resolved quickly and fairly for all the parties involved.”
Last Wednesday, the president took to Twitter to criticize the District Court’s ruling.
“It just shows everyone how broken and unfair our Court System is when the opposing side in a case (such as DACA)…almost always wins before being reversed by higher courts,” the president wrote.
Roughly 700,000 brought to the U.S. illegally — dubbed “Dreamers” — would be impacted by the president’s shutdown of DACA, which the Trump administration said it plans to end by March 5.